Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Uncatchable Fish

I really enjoyed getting caught up in all the aspects of Big Fish this weekend because there was so much to absorb.


Like a fairy tale, this film puts you in an unrealistic world where strange things happen and some things don't make sense. But the plot switches back and forth from fantasy to reality with the son (Billy Crudup) who thinks his father has lied about his life for as long as he's lived and with the father (Ewan McGregor/Albert Finney) who claims they are true, narrating the tall tales of his past. These two different worlds of what is real and what is "elaborate" come together beautifully at the end when the son realizes everything his father meant by his fabled stories.


When you find out that Tim Burton is the director, you'll think "of course!" The wondrous costumes, mystifying characters, and bizarre settings scream the imagination of Burton. As the father, Ed Bloom, meets the neighborhood witch, friendly giant, asian siamese twins, etc., you can tell the similarities between this and Nightmare Before Christmas or The Corpse Bride. They both create a parallel universe that's seemingly nightmarish and surprisingly pleasant.


The plot was exciting and intriguing with a lot of subtle humor which was quite amusing. The characters were ridiculous, but as always to the fable, there is much truth in them. The abstract characters stood for something much more than what they appeared to be.

I would highly recommend this movie for it is a fantastic, thrilling, and refreshing adventure that I think anyone will enjoy.

"And that's the real story of how you were born. Not very exciting, is it? And I suppose if I had to choose between the true version and an elaborate one involving a fish and a wedding ring, I might choose the fancy version. But that's just me."

5 comments:

shelbs said...

This is probably one of my top movies because its so unique. I never found a movie that kept me more into the moment then this one. The only thing I didn't like was that I got confused when it went from the story the dad told to the reality of the matter. I thought it was a great film for all ages. I thought it was really sad that his son didn't believe him and that the dad dies in the end. I think that if the son would have believed the dad that they would have had a better relationship. This is the kind of movie that makes you look back on your life and to see that sometimes its better to have someone in your life then to throw them aside over one misunderstanding. Anyways I would give this film 4 1/2 out of 5 for obvious reasons.

Sara said...

That sounds really interesting! It's not the type of movie i would normally choose to watch, but i want to try it because it sounds really good!

Anonymous said...

I think I might watch this movie sometime now that you mention it. I have never really paid any particular attention to this movie, but it seems pretty interesting. I'm the kind of person who likes fantasy stories so this movie seems like it would be a good on for me.

Terry said...

I have never had the chance to see Big Fish. It is intriguing that the story is about a son who realizes his father's stories are lies. It is a topic not covered a lot but it happens to us all.

On a side note, would you like to work with me on the final project? I already got something going but i would love to collaborate with you. (There was also someone else who was going to be in your final project group right?)

chaska said...

This is a really good movie. What adds to it is that Tim Burton is the director. He has a wild and great imagination. I don't know how he comes up with these plots and how the characters should be portrayed as. I keep watching this movie because it draws me in every time. Good quote at the end. This makes me want to see it again.